Upgrade requirements vary by discipline. Click here to get the current USA Cycling rulebook (pdf)  - Upgrade Requirements (section 1D) starts at page 20, and upgrade information for specific disciplines can be found on the pages below:
- Road - page 21
- Track - page 25
- Cyclocross - page 27
- Mountain - page 28
When you are ready to upgrade, go to the USA Cycling website and select the License Info tab under your account using the link below (you will need to register on the site first).
Prior to submitting an upgrade, please first fill out the Upgrade Worksheet to see if you are eligible (you can download a copy here:
http://ncnca.org/sites/default/files/internal/upgrades/RoadUpgradeWorksheetUSAC2013.xls  )
When you submit your upgrade request you must include the following information:
- CAT 5 = Race Name, Race Date, Placing, Field Size. Only USAC Events count towards upgrades. Please see below for more info about CAT 5 to CAT 4 upgrades.
- CAT 4 & CAT 3 = Race Name, Race Date, Placing, Field Size, Points Earned (you can only use racers from your CAT or higher towards the overall field size). Only USAC Events count towards upgrades. Please see below for more info about CAT 5 to CAT 4 upgrades.
Important Information to know prior to submitting your upgrade request:
- Please remember when racing in Masters Categories (35+ 4/5, 35+ 1/2/3, 45+ 4/5, 45+ 1/2/3, etc.) upgrades must only include the same or higher categories towards the “Field Size” (lower categories will not count towards the “Field Size”).
- All categories are combined in Masters Races unless specifically specified by the race promoter on their race flyer.
- Junior Racers: If you are using Junior’s Races towards upgrades you must only include the same or higher categories towards the “Field Size”
- CAT 5’s can only use a maximum of 6 points from clinics towards upgrades to CAT 4.
- CAT 4’s can only use a maximum of 3 points towards upgrades to CAT 3
- Additional 1 Point is earned from mentored CAT 5 (Men) and CAT 4 (Women) races where the mentor is at leas a CAT 3 or higher and you attend the post race discussion. Please note on your upgrade request from USAC if a race(s) was mentored. This will be crossed checked with the post-race attendance list sent in by the mentor.
- CAT 5 - CAT 4: Experience in 10 mass start races ("DNF", TT's, MTB, CX, and most Hill Climbs do not count as a mass start race). Local Associations may also establish policies where upgrade credit is given for taking a sanctioned rider education clinic
- CAT 4 - CAT 3: 20 points, or experience in 25 races with a minimum of 10 top ten finishes with fields over 30. 30 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade
- CAT 3 - CAT 2: 30 points. 40 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade
- CAT 2 - CAT 1: 35 points. 50 points in 12 months is an automatic upgrade. Upgrades must be sent directly to Jan Luke at USAC.