Change start times for early season road races?
Now that the last road race of 2007 has been held we can talk about why the early start each and every race (except for NRC events). The first group stages at 8:00 am. I believe it makes more sense to start later, (like 10:00 am) especially in the early season races.
1) It's sooo cold that early in the morning. :cry:
2) The long drive to race start deters some from entering, if they have to leave at 5:00 am on a weekend! :shock:
3) Racers will be more awake and race ready (see #1 and #2).
4) Many CX races start at 10:00 am during the cold months. :roll:
5) Part of Snelling's success stems from a second wave for the more populated categories, starting AFTER 11:00 am! :wink:
6) Juniors (and their parents) need sleep and aren't fond of or used to #1 and #2 as explained above. :x
7) Many road races are done by noon, whereas crits may be go on all day.
Any comments, corrections, explanations, or justifications? :?: